- This event has passed.
Hard Water School – Ice Fishing Class
March 6 | @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
One event on February 20, 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on March 6, 2021 at 9:00 am
This is a one-day introductory class on ice fishing. The class will cover everything from how to set up equipment, how and where to fish, when to be out on the ice, ice safety, and rules and regulations (some by Zoom and video). The focus of the class will be techniques for pan fish, walleye, and pike. We will spend the first day gearing up, rigging rods and teaching what is needed to get on the ice this year. The second day is an optional fishing day with instructors.
There will be augers, and some loaner shanties (available on a first-come, first-served basis but not shared). We encourage you to bring your own equipment if possible. We will not be able to share this year. We also encourage the whole family to come.
Participants, employees and volunteers will be required to wear face coverings and will make every effort to maintain at least 6 feet separation throughout the class. See below for additional safety protocols that will be followed.
Cost for the class is $35, which includes one-on-one instruction from a pro, lunch on the ice, bait and a goodie bag.
Participation is limited to 20 students.
To register for this class, go to Michigan.gov/DNRLicenses and click on the “Purchase a license” button. Sign in (using either a username and password or your ID and birthdate), and find the class under the Outdoor Skills Academy tab.
For more information contact Edward Shaw at 231-779-1321 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Recreation Passport is required for entry into Mitchell State Park.
Please note: Cancellations must be made two weeks prior to the class to guarantee a refund.
Additional COVID-19 safety protocols that will be followed include:
- Access to park or visitor center facilities will be limited to restroom use, with processes in place to limit the number of visitors in a facility at any one time
- No program props or materials will be shared or passed between participants.
- Staff will regularly clean and disinfect equipment and other touchable surfaces.
- Handwashing facilities with disinfecting soap will be available to employees and program participants. Additionally, participants will be provided with antiseptic hand sanitizers or towelettes.
- Participants will be asked to complete a health form, and employees and volunteers will follow State of Michigan policy for daily health screening.
This class is part of the Department of Natural Resources Outdoor Skills Academy, which offers in-depth, expert instruction, gear and hands-on learning for a range of outdoor activities at locations around the state. Learn more at Michigan.gov/OutdoorSkills.
Have an event you would like us to list? Please fill out our event submission form.